Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Digital Divide

     Previously, I thought the digital divide was solely due to socio-economic status. More specifically, I thought those who are wealthy enough to buy a computer or smart phone are on one side of the digital divide while those who cannot afford a computer or smart phone are on the other.

     My understanding of the digital divide has definitely changed. Now that technology has advanced and become less expensive, many people have access to technology and the internet. The new divide has to do with how people use technology. This new division is fostered by those who create and those who consume. Those who create, i.e. movie producers, computer programs, website creators, and blog writers, improve their lives with technology while those who consume are simply bystanders and are not using technology to its full potential.

     Along with learning about "Voicethread," a useful piece of technology, this week's collaborative digital conversation helped me gain different perspectives on the same topic. In some cases, it reiterated what I had read and thought, and in other cases, I learned new things. These were things that I either did not retain when reading or did not think they were important until my classmates restated these ideas in their own words. I also thought that it was interesting to hear on what concepts my classmates chose to reflect.

Please click the play button below to listed to my classes' voicethread on the digital divide.



No comments:

Post a Comment