Friday, January 20, 2012

The 21st Century Learner

     I found the readings and video for this week interesting.  I think this is a crucial and exciting time for education because the traditional classroom is on it’s way out.  For this blog post, I chose to reflect on educational environments' inability to change and motivate learners.  I also chose to write about the digital disconnect between students and traditional schooling.  I will start with the latter point.

     I believe there are two main reasons for the digital disconnect between students and schools.  The first is that schools cannot afford to keep up with technology because it is ever evolving and, therefore, expensive.  Like most things, the core problem is money.  It is impossible to keep up with new technologies at under funded public schools.  Another reason for the digital disconnect is that lawmakers, principals and superintendents grew up in a different time.  Obviously, they are successful products of the traditional school system and they think, “If it is good enough for me then it is good enough for my kids.”  And while this traditional schooling will continue to work for some, those who learn differently will continue to suffer.




     As for educational environments' inability to change and motivate, I believe that has to do with students growing up, as the readings pointed out, in a fast-paced, stimulus-filled world.   It is nearly impossible to keep a student focused on one thing in a traditional classroom when he/she is used to juggling many things at once.  They simply get bored having to do only one task at a time.  I also believe that principals and superintendents are too caught up in standardized tests and data.  I understand that students need to have some sort of evaluation, but to keep the students motivated, the tests and data should be more open-ended and creative rather than boring rote-memorization.

     Please watch the video below that I wrote and produced.  It showcases my interpretation of the 21st century learner.  Enjoy.


Lincoln and Obama discuss the state of education
by: dnballinger

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed watching your video! Obama and Lincoln :) Very creative.

    ReplyDelete